Illegal dumping at commercial properties is a big and costly problem these days. Every day, sofas, appliances, landscape debris, tires and electronics are illegally dumped at the properties we serve.
Some items such as tvs and computer equipment are small enough to place in the dumpster; however, placing items containing hazardous waste in the dumpster is illegal. These items cannot be safely placed in a landfill and must be recycled.
Electronics contain mercury and lead which are harmful to the environment. Electronic waste, known as e-waste, may not be placed with the regular trash.
The following is a partial list of items that may not be legally placed in the dumpster and must be removed from the property.
- Computers and monitors
- Fluorescent lights
- Cell phones
- VCRs, DVDs and CD players
- Copy-scanner machines
The best solution is to have convenient electronics recycling. In the meantime, here are a few solutions.
- Place locks on dumpster enclosures.
- Post “No Dumping” and “No Trespassing” signs.
- Instruct tenants to report to the police when they see this crime.
- Remove items are quickly as possible so the site doesn’t become a known dump location.